Sodus Township is a small rural community, featuring fruit farms and green pastures. The township is bordered on the west by the St. Joseph River. Its residents enjoy a great quality of life.
The St. Joseph River was the predominate source of trade and employment for the early settlers. The first permanent settlers depended on its abundance of fish for their existance. The first known entrepreneur in Sodus Township was James Larue, who purchased riverfront land for the construction of a sawmill in 1835. The first permanent settler, however, was David Rector who in 1837, took possession of 40 acres of land. In 1840 he was followed by Captain Ebenezer Farly, who purchased 150 acres along the river and started a commercial river boat venture.
Sodus was officialy incorporated as a Township on October 11, 1859 at the request of John Gano and 243 other citizens. Twenty-one years passed before the Village emerged. The completion of The Big Four Railroads, which ran through the Village, resulted in the construction of a woodenware factory that shipped thousands of wooden bowls and sap buckets.
Today, the St. Joseph River no longer functions as a means of survival for the Sodus Township commmunity, although it adds to the beauty of the landscape. Over the past 140 years, Sodus has been able to retain its quiet, rural character and remain a special place to live.
Profile of Sodus Township - Berrien County Economic Development Department